Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm too sexy for my nationality

Had I known how busy this new job would be - and most importantly that it would cut into blogging time - I never would never have taken it.

We have been doing a lot of work on the house this summer, both outside and inside. Recently, we hired a handyman to build us a large bookcase so we could better organize our office/spare bedroom.

He was a nice enough guy, and really liked to talk. The estimate, which should have taken 30 minutes, took an hour and a half.

On Saturday he came over to install the finished project. We carried it upstairs (the finished product is 8' tall by 8' wide) and he started installing it against the wall. Therese was downstairs cooking enchiladas.

The gentleman, who is Mexican, smelled the chili sauce and asked "what is your wife making? Chili?"
And I said "Actually, enchiladas."
"How does she know how to make real enchiladas?" he asked "You folks are too white."

So I informed him that Therese is actually half Hispanic, on her mothers side. But what he heard was that I am half Hispanic, not Therese.

He proceeded to tell me that I am too handsome to be Mexican, and that I must be lying. Most Mexicans, he explained, are ugly.

I reiterated that it was Therese, not me, who is half, but that I appreciated the compliment.

We have a date on Friday.

9 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Many Mexican men I've known move way too fast in a relationship. I urge you - DO NOT MAKE OUT WITH HIM ON YOUR FIRST DATE!!!

Also, don't be fooled by his handyman cover. If he suggest you look at his tool(s), tell him you have to go to the bathroom and then SNEAK OUT!

Therese in Heaven said...

You know, wives worry about losing their fellas to younger women. It didn't even occur to me to be concerned about an older man!

Desmond Jones said...

Well, you know, RS, I probably shouldn't comment - we've got some rather unpleasant recent family history with a Mexican man. . .

One of Molly's friends is a Mexican woman whose mother told her quite emphatically, "DO NOT marry a Mexican man!" Which is a tough spot, if you're a Mexican man, and women of your own ethnic background are being warned off you. . . We have another friend, who is Greek, who was given the same advice by her mother, relating to Greek men. . .

So maybe the thing is just, whoever you are, marry someone from a different nationality. . .

And Therese, I have a friend who lost his first wife to another woman. . .

Sailor said...

Please be sure to be home on time. Who's driving? Where will you be going?

Oh, wait- that's Therese's job

Anonymous said...

Um, did you slap him at least? I mean, for what he said about Mexicans?

I mean, come on .....

Anonymous said...

I have always subscribed to the theory that if you want something fixed right (plumbing, car, appliances, woodworking, etc.) you have to get an ugly man to do the work.

So maybe he's just relating that the only Mexican men he knows are good handymen and thus ugly.

Have fun on the date, and I'm sure there is nothing to worry about, but still be careful about allowing him to fix your drinks...

Anonymous said...

Actually I have to agree with hiring the ugly one to get the job done. That's why i do all my own repair work ....

Recovering Soul said...

DaKOG - if anyone is a tool, its me... but, I'll try to keep the battery out of the drill on the first date.

sweetie - I guess you never know where chemistry will strike.

des - I work with two guys who are a couple, but one of them has two kids with his ex-wife. I guess stranger things have happened, though it is the exception and not the rule!

sailor - as you can see from her comment, Therese doesn't seem to be too concerned.

ftn - thanks bro. You're like my brutha from anotha motha.

xavier - I didn't slap him. I guess I don't stand up for people quite as well as you.

sm - its like the song "if you want to be happy for the rest of your life" but I married a HOT woman, so doesn't apply to me.

xavier - I am the least handy manly man that you will ever meet. I suck.

But not on a first date.

Anonymous said...

That's probably for the better. MA and Evangeline are far too young to have to visit Daddy in the big-house!

And only ugly guys are handy. that's how we cope. :-)