Thursday, November 13, 2008

The grass is always greener

When I was a sales manager for 6 years, I used the steadiness of the job to finish my degree. Once that was done, the itch to change jobs (I think that is what the itch was... the cream helped) was killing me. I was desperate for a new job.

And I took the first thing that was offered me at a decent salary. It was a good offer. A position with a lot of upward mobility potential, and a manager who said all the right things.

About 2 months into the job, I started to get a bit worried. I've never done a program management job like this. I'm used to thinking tactically, not strategically. But, I'm smart, and can learn, if someone can teach me. Again, my manager seemed like the right person to do that.

My manager is very likely going to be an executive in this large company someday. He is very politically connected and pretty smart. But, because of all this, he is working on a lot of projects for upper management, and his time is stretched thin.

A month or so ago, shortly after the blogger get together, a third of my team was laid off. I'm convinced that the only reason I wasn't on the list was because of the unique project I'm on and knowledge I have that would be hard to replicate in a short time.

I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm sure that this team I've moved to is on the way out. It is just a matter of time. Beyond that, I haven't made much personal progress, because my manager is too busy to mentor me. A couple of smart guys on my team have tried to help me, but they are busy with their own jobs and don't have much time to spend with me.

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm not learning anything here, and I'm sure this team will be gone within 6 months. Beyond that, I'm not sure that without additional mentoring I'm even doing the job to the satisfaction of my manager. He has yet to give me feedback, after 6 months. At the same time, the company has a rule that you aren't supposed to change jobs if you've been in that role for less than a year.

And, of course, the market is in bad shape right now. It would be foolish to leave my job when things are so bad everywhere.

So, I'm sure I'll stick it out. I just have to figure out how to make things better on my own, without any help.

3 comments:

FTN said...

It never hurts to have that resume up-to-date, and applications and cover letters in at a company or two. Even if you don't necessarily plan on leaving right away. Take a look at other things in other companies, and if you find something that seems like a possibility, do some interviewing. You don't have to take anything you're offered, so hitting an interview once in awhile can be a good thing.

Doesn't it seem like "job security" is a thing of the past?

Sailor said...

I've been with one ultra-large-company for years and years; and even so, job security is a thing we never take for granted. I think FTN is right, keep the interview skills honed, even if only as practice.

Desmond Jones said...

The lesson I learned from the last time I was unemployed (13 years ago) is that I have kept my resume current ever since then.

And alas, I suppose FTN is probably right about job security. Our economic culture doesn't know how to treat people as persons; only work-units. . .

Which, I suppose, has at least the salutary effect of discouraging us from assigning more significance to our jobs than we ought. . .